How to Use ‘The QXL tool’ to extract QuickBooks Data?
QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop have limited reporting capabilities and it can be difficult to extract data using these tools, there is a need for a better tool that can extract data quickly and without trouble. One such tool is ‘The QXL tool’ with which we can easily extract data from QuickBooks.
QXL and QODBC
‘QXL’ is a fresh product introduced by ‘FLEXquarters.’ It is the same company that gave another excellent product ‘QODBC’ driver for QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online. The ‘QODBC’ is used by QXL to derive data from QuickBooks Desktop or QuickBooks Online.
QODBC Driver for QuickBooks desktop was launched in 2001 and is a part of QuickBooks Enterprise, only as a ‘read-only’ version. Recently, QODBC driver for QuickBooks Online was introduced.
You need to be familiar with the working of this kind of ‘Database Tool.’ Connecting ‘QODBC’ to a reporting tool such as can be a time-consuming task. Therefore a good knowledge of these tools is essential for prompt working. ‘QXL’ can manage complicated database connections to extract and provide you with the required format.
There are different versions of QXL for both QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online. Let’s look at some of the important aspects here.
It is advisable to speak to a technical expert to get instant solution for any ‘QXL’ issues. Call at QuickBooks support number.
The ‘QXL’ &‘QuickBooks Desktop’
Installation for QXL is very similar to any desktop app that works with ‘QuickBooks Desktop.’ When you run the ‘app’ for the first time, you need to log in to QuickBooks as an ‘Admin User.’ Click the green arrow on the screen, and it will start the process of ‘Exporting the data to a series of Excel Tables or CSV files, whatever is preferable.
Once the export is done, you can now the ‘QXL’ will open the ‘Windows File Explorer’ and you can see the exported Excel Spreadsheets. The files are well placed in separate folders giving a clean and streamlined look.
You have the option to combine the table and report in to separate Excel Spreadsheet, or you can combine them into ‘One file.’
You may also read: How to resolve QuickBooks Error – 6000,-304?
The QXL Tool Options
To view the ‘QXL Options’ click on the wrench icon in the main ‘QXL’ window that will give you the ‘options window.’ You can see several options here. In the ‘General’ tab, you can control where the files will be exported to and in what format.
A way to improve the speed of the export is only to select the tables you need. This will improve performance.
Another useful option is to include ‘Reports’ in the export. The reports are not exported by default and have to be manually included. QuickBooks created reports that have calculated information in them. The reports can be published via QuickBooks Programming interface,’ and thus the ‘summary information’ can be exported.
To enable the ‘reports setting’, you have to navigate to the ‘Reports Settings’ tab in the ‘QXL’ options that allows you to include the reports in the export. To do this
- Click the ‘Default Reports’ option
- You can see the list of the ‘available reports’
- Select the report from the list (the selected report will be added to this tab and will be visible for any future export)
Ask an industry expert on any query related to the above-provided steps. You can seek technical help at QuickBooks support number.
How to Optimize QXL Performance
A QuickBooks data export can be a prolonged process. The slow speed is there because of the way ‘QuickBooks Programming interface works. You can do several things to improve the performance.
- Ensure to check the ‘Use Optimizer’ option in the ‘Advanced tab’ of the options window. With this action, QODBC driver will store a copy of the ‘Exported data, that will take some space on the system, however, when you will run the ‘export function,’ the QODBC will view the saved data & the current QB Data. QODBC will extract the changed data since the last export. This will boost performance.
- Go to the ‘Table settings’ tab of the ‘Options window’ and click the ‘tables’ you want to export. Choose and click the table you require. The lesser the tables, the greater will be the speed.
- Avoid downloading ‘Transaction’ table which is massive in size and generally has duplicated info on it. There is an option to include this table and is not checked by default. Hence, only add it when you need its functionality.
The ‘QXL Error Reporting’
In addition to that notification, an error log is created in the export file folder.
There are usually two kinds of errors that occur-
- Tables cannot be exported- In this error you are stuck with a table that cannot be exported for some reason. No noticeable notification come to indicate this error. You only get a ‘message’ as a notification, and there will be an ‘Error Log’ created in the Export file folder.
- Connection errors- The error will say that ‘It is unable to connect QuickBooks’ and the user needs to ensure that the QuickBooks is running on this system.’ You also need to be logged in as an ‘Admin’ to the company file
Talk to an advisor at QuickBooks premier support number to understand the above-provided steps.
The QXL Tool & QuickBooks Online’
There is a QXL version from ‘FLEXquarters’ that gel well with QuickBooks Online. This is a ‘desktop app’ that connects you to the QuickBooks Database. There are several advantages to this:
- The app works/ runs the same way in both desktop and online versions of QuickBooks (except connecting to the database).
- The data comes or is extracted to Excel files that can be stored and worked-upon in your system.
- The system to connect tables in Excel and generate reports is the same with both the products.
Now talking about the disadvantages, firstly, there is no online app. Hence, one has to use the ‘Windows computer.’ Other than this, the table structures in QB Online are different from that in QB Desktop. The QXL does not translate the files to any sort of standard structure.
That’s All for this article. QXL is an efficient tool for data extraction and then have that data in Excel Format. It is a feature that can allow you to derive data in a usable format. The article aims to educate you on the functions and how to utilize this tool to maximize your workflow. In case of any question, it is advisable to speak to a technical expert at QB Premier Support at our QuickBooks premier helpline number 1-808-374-3003.